Your mother may very well be the most important person in your life. She was with you from the moment you entered this world, and she has probably played a significant role in helping to shape you into the person you are today. Mothers juggle several different roles: cook, seamstress, chauffeur, nurse, teacher and so much more! They often put their own needs last, especially when money is tight. For many, the dream of earning a college degree may seem unattainable because of family responsibilities and limited funds. This Mother’s Day, encourage your mom to pursue her dream of a college education and help her find and apply for some of the many scholarships available to women and mothers.
1. Scholarships4Moms Scholarship – Moms of all ages may apply for this non-renewable scholarship. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. Returning adult students and non-traditional students can apply as well. Value: $10,000. Deadline: May 15, 2012.
2. The Illinois Organization of Mothers of Twins Club, Inc. Scholarship – Mothers of multiples (twins, triplets, etc.), who have financial need, may apply for this award. Applicants must be active in Twins Club activities or other community activities, as well as maintain grades of ‘C’ or better in accredited coursework. All applicants must reside in Illinois. Value: $300. Deadline: August 31, 2012.
3. AAUW Career Development Grant – This grant program supports mothers who are seeking to return to college to change careers or advance within their positions. Applicants must have earned degrees prior to June 30, 2008, and be U.S. citizens. Last year, 47 grants were awarded. Value: $2,000 – $12,000. Deadline: December 15, 2012.
4. Patsy Takemoto Mink Scholarship – Women (17 or older) with minor children may apply for this award. Applicants must be enrolled in accredited programs and pursuing undergraduate, graduate or other professional degrees. Applicants must demonstrate financial need. A total of five scholarships will be awarded. Value: $2,000. Deadline: July 15, 2012.
5. Single Parent Scholarship – Residents of California who are single parents may apply for this scholarship. Each applicant must be a U.S. citizen and either be graduating from high school or participating in an undergraduate program. Value: $1,000. Deadline: July 15, 2012.
Be sure to thank your mom this Mother’s Day for all that she has done for you. In addition to the typical flowers and candy you plan to give her this weekend, you might want to give her the gifts of encouragement and support. Help her to follow her dreams and pursue a college or graduate degree, and then help her locate scholarships using a free scholarship search service like ScholarshipExperts.com. Even moms need a little help to spread their wings and pursue their dreams every now and then.
It's fast, easy and free. Sign Up and Start Your Search Today!