Types of Student Visas & How to Apply

International students planning to study in the United States will have to apply for a student visa after they are admitted to a U.S. college or university. Please remember that your acceptance in an institution does not guarantee that you will be issued a student visa.

There are three types of student visas for international students:

  • Academic Studies (F visa): This type of student visa is required if you’ve been accepted into an accredited college or university in the United States.
  • Non-Academic or Vocational Studies (M Visa): If you’ve been accepted to a non-academic or vocational U.S. college or university, this is the type of student visa you should apply for.
  • Academic Studies as an Exchange Visitor (J Visa): The “J” visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs. You will need this type of student visa if you’ve been accepted into a program through a designated sponsoring organization to participate in an exchange visitor program in the United States.

For more information about student visas or to find out how to apply for one, visit the U.S. State Department’s website.

Source: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html.


For more information about international study, return to the International Students section. To find customized scholarships that you can apply for today, sign up or login to the ScholarshipExperts.com time-saving scholarship search service. It's fast, easy and completely free.